Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Punting

Looks like I will be sitting this one out. After a few talks with the relevant people (adivsor & spouse) it seems that the plan will be to not apply for academic jobs this year. Instead I will work out publishing the shit-ton of data I'm sitting on, and write a grant. If both of those were to work out reasonably well I would look very good next year. A big if; though there's probably a better chance at me getting this grant and publishing everything than getting a (good) job this year. So the move makes sense as an overall career plan.

A similar strategy worked in getting my current position. I was highly annoyed that I had to spend an 'extra' year in grad school. I didn't have a real reason to hurry, I'm well within the typical age range from my place on the professional development ladder. Perhaps this time I'll take things better.

1 comment:

  1. I know it is a hard decision to make, but I think if you have a ton of data to work up, you are best served by converting those into publications, especially considering how poor the job market will likely be this year. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete