Sunday, June 20, 2010

No read policy

“Worry about that which you cannot control waste energy, and creates it’s own problems”

I don’t look at other people’s CVs any more. It’s a no win situation. The best possible outcome is neutral. It is likely that something the person’s CV will make me feel bad about mine, depressed about my job prospects, suspicious of authorship gerrymandering1, incensed that a paper with such a silly title got into a good journal, etc.

Thus I no longer peruse the CVs of up coming speakers, researchers I just met at a conference, and so on.

1. I have seen one CV I suspected was heavily gerrymandered, in the sense than the authorships were more arranged than earned. I’ve seen plenty of CVs that I’d describe impossibly good. This particular CV was orders of magnitude better than those. Imagine something like 8 first authored Science papers during the first year of graduate school.

2 comments:

  1. I realize you don't want to name names, but I don't believe anyone has 8 first-authored papers in Science in grad school, much less in the first year. I'd like to see what kind of CV you're talking about.

    I have known a few grad students impossibly good CVs ... and I can tell you they actually did that work (they're just impossibly good). But what you describe is orders of magnitude beyond that, though I'm assuming maybe some exaggeration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably some exaggeration on my part. I broke my rule and checked up on this person. It's not quite as impossible as I remember. Still most pubs I've seen for a graduate student (almost 20).

    It seems less improbable now that I've had some experience in a big lab (similar to what this person was in) and seen how they can really churn out data and manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete